Brand Name :
Generic Name :
What is this drug and what is it used for?
Fasturtec contains the active ingredient rasburicase. Fasturtec is used to treat or prevent high blood levels of uric acid from occurring in adults, children and adolescents (aged 0 to 17 years) with disorders of the blood cells (hematological diseases) who are about to receive or are receiving chemotherapy treatment.
How to use Fasturtec
Instruction for use – dilution and administration
Dose will be calculated according to body weight. The recommended dose is 0.20 mg per kg of body weight per day in both children and adults.
Fasturtec must be reconstituted with the entire volume of the supplied solvent (e.g. 1.5 mg vial to be reconstituted with the 1 ml solvent ampoule; 7.5 mg vial to be reconstituted with the 5 ml solvent ampoule). Reconstitution results in a solution with a concentration of 1.5 mg/ml to be further diluted with sodium chloride 9 mg/ml (0.9%) solution to make a total volume of 50 ml. The final solution should be infused over 30 minutes.
It will be given once a day, for up to 7 days. During treatment with Fasturtec, your doctor will carry out blood tests to check the levels of uric acid and decide how long you will be treated for.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects.
Very common and Common side effects
- allergic reactions, mainly rashes and urticaria
Uncommon side effects
- low blood pressure (hypotension)
- wheezing or difficulty in breathing (bronchospasm)
- blood disorders
- runny or blocked nose, sneezing, facial pressure or pain (rhinitis) (rare)
- severe hypersensitivity reactions, such as anaphylaxis (rare)
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients
- G6PD deficiency and other cellular metabolic disorders known to cause hemolytic anemia
Fasturtec contains sodium. This medicine contains up to 10.5 mg sodium per vial. This is equivalent to 0.53% of the recommended maximum daily dietary intake of sodium for an adult.
Store in a refrigerator (2°C – 8°C)
Do not freeze
Store in the original package in order to protect from light